Sunday, April 08, 2007

"No Bunny Blues"

It's Easter Sunday. You are probably licking melted chocoloate bunnies off your lips wondering how anyone could miss this candy coated holiday. Perhaps you're grabbing another handful of jelly beans, sucking the sugar coating off some Peeps, or just chasing your kids around the house/yard while they look for Easter Eggs. The lamb is roasting in the oven and all your favorite dishes are sitting on the sideboard waiting for the hunt to end and the feasting to begin.

Ugh. I'm Jewish. No such luck for me.

When I was a little kid, my parents took the Bunny as a secular privilege and we were afforded the joys of an Easter basket. They even went far enough to let us join Christian friends for the feast...and the Easter egg hunt, of course. My best memory is in college...three of us were home from school and we got to hunt for eggs loaded with quarters! Nothing is a better treat to a college student than bright, shiny quarters for the laundry machines.

Now I'm an adult and I have to pretend Easter isn't happening. I'm having a typically Kosher buffet (sans wheat...because it is still Passover). This includes scrambled eggs with dill, lox, cream cheese, and a few slices of "Kosher for Passover" Matzo. I woke up this morning and whipped up a citrus salad featuring oranges, pink grapefruit, blood oranges, pineapple, kiwi and a few blueberries for contrast. Coffee is brewing and I'm contemplating opening up a bottle of champagne to drown the "no bunny blues" out of my chocolate obsessed mind...

Happy Easter to my chocolate coated, Christian friends!

“Glass City Gourmet” is a chronicle of one woman's attempt to cook, eat, diet and entertain with both flair and whimsy while based in Toledo, Ohio. I encourage you to read on as the "Glass City Gourmet" attempts grand recipes, samples locally owned restaurants, visits indigenous markets and humbly pursues her quest to be formally recognized as the official "Glass City Gourmet".

No comments:

Post a Comment